Monday, May 05, 2008

Still crazy after all these years...

Heard a special soul singing Paul Simon's "Still Crazy After All These Years" last night. And, aside from it being a hell of a song, I thought, "How appropriate a theme for this nutty life of yours, Mabe."

What a difference a day makes. I went into the weekend (as you can probably tell by Friday's post) angry and frustrated. Nothing serious. Just had let the normal stress of the week, plus a couple of jerks, get to me. Kind of wanted to go home and crash.

But I forced myself to make it out to the UT game Friday night. And, they lost, but what a night for baseball. Chattin' with my pals in Section C, I was happy as Ernie Banks, ready to play two.

Saturday I chilled at the house until going to give my godson his birthday presents. There's nothing like a 3-year-old's youthful enthusiasm to lift your mood.

Sunday I caught the series finale against Vandy (UT lost that one, too -- but again the weather was perfect) and celebrated my sister's birthday with the family. Life is good.

And, last night, I kept humming that Simon song and thought about all the fun I've had during my short time on this earth. Suddenly the disappointments, the stress, the bills and the ups and downs with the opposite sex all seemed part of it, too, the moments you carry with you on such a journey.

America has rolled by, the world has changed, friends and women have come and gone, but here I sit, laughing too loud, singing off key, carrying on too much about the songs and sports and books and girls I love, still crazy after all these years...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home