Saturday, July 26, 2008

My favorite curmudgeons

Some people call me a nice guy, but deep down, I'm a curmudgeon. Or, at least I'd like to play one on TV.

The folks at work kid me about identifying with the crusty old man in every TV show. A few examples: Col. Potter on "M*A*S*H." Lou Grant on both "Mary Tyler Moore" and "Lou Grant." Perry White on "Superman." Mr. Pitt on "Seinfeld." Everybody Loves Raymond's dad.

Really, I just get a kick out of watching some classic old guy get pissed off.

My favorite big-league managers (Earl Weaver, Bobby Cox, Billy Martin) threw legendary fits. Cox leads the league for most ejections. Weaver was the most colorful, but Martin was the champ -- hands down.

I slept late this morning and stayed in bed even longer -- but was delighted to discover free episodes of "Lou Grant" available on the internet. I watched the first one, where he takes over as the city editor of a Los Angeles daily. Made me remember why I love my job.

Now, I'm watching the Tigers losing another one to the White Sox. But, it's Negro League Night, so both teams are wearing cool unis. I wanna go to that museum in Kansas City. Always wanted a Monarchs hat.

Speaking of the Monarchs, we got to see Buck O'Neil in Knoxville a few years ago. What a treasure he was. Why on earth they didn't put that man in the Hall of Fame is beyond me.

How did I go from curmudgeons to Negro League baseball?

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home