Saturday, September 06, 2008

Sweet life on a Friday night

All is calm, all is bright tonight. Sometimes you gotta be thankful for the times in which you live.

I'm chillin', waiting on pizza, watching football. Life is good.

Sorry I haven't ducked in to write much this week. Let's just say the roller coaster ride got a bit scary the past few days. But, it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. Sometimes you just gotta give a nod to modern medicine and be thankful for a little help from your friends.

To quote Joe Cocker, I'm so glad I'm standing here today.

Went out to the ol' school last night. After an 11-year hiatus, Halls found a way to beat Central on the gridiron, 23-6. The Big Red didn't even attempt a pass until the first of the fourth quarter. Which is just as well, considering when they did try a pass, the Red Devils lost 3 yards.

I got caught up in the excitement, jumped up and down to the strains of "Also Sprach Zarathustra," enjoyed the big, dazed grin on coach Kevin Julian's face at the end of the game. We had a good time up in the press box, too. Blake Cleveland and Rodney Duncan were pumped up. I ate pizza from Mr. Gatti's and felt glad to still live at the Crossroads.

They named the field after our old buddy Dink Adams, by the way. He was all smiles on the field at halftime, standing arm and arm with his wife Carol. Dink is a good guy.

I got back to the office about 10 last night, typed up my story and stayed around to watch it roll off the printer. Call me a big kid, but I felt all warm and fuzzy inside.

I don't understand life sometimes. Every now and then, things get a little hazy, it doesn't quite compute, stuff gets a little messed up. But then you grasp the outstretched hand from folks who know more than you do, follow the directions and find a peace unlike anything you've ever known.

Then, to top all that, you hang out at the alma mater on a Friday night, revel in the simple joy of a silly football win, and figure that despite the peaks and valleys, it really is a wonderful life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home