Friday, May 20, 2011

Cameron's graduation

So my little brother graduated last night.

Pomp and circumstance. Turn the tassel. Good-bye and good luck.

I can remember the afternoon my dad and I walked down to Wendy's on the Strip for dinner while Cameron was coming into the world at Fort Sanders. The Braves were playing on TV when we returned. I held him and told him we'd end up as brothers from different mothers singers like David and Shaun Cassidy.

Yeah, that didn't work out.

Eighteen years slipped away when I wasn't looking. Eighteen years! Damn.

Halls High principal Mark Duff said some good words before graduation. He told the Class of 2011 to expand their horizons, to travel, to read books, to never let their education end. Amen and amen.

I thought about the day I graduated and the trip we took to Florida and the laughs that are but memories.

And the sand passes through the hour glass and time marches on.

1 Comments:

Anonymous vivian whitson said...

and mark duff is right. no matterwhat, expand your education. this is a great post jake. i know you're proud of your brother. and i am proud of you.vivi an whitson.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home