Thursday, March 22, 2012

My new toy


Thanks to the incredible graciousness of my friend Sherry Cannon, pictured here is my new toy, a stationary, manual Underwood typewriter. Ahh, I can just hear the clickety-clack of the keys, music to my ears.

I'm still looking for a portable manual typewriter with its case that is in good working condition (without having to break the bank to buy it). Thought I had one spotted on Craigslist, but the seller hasn't gotten back with me. If you might have one with which you're willing to part, shoot me an email at JakeMabe1@aol.com.

Gotta tell you one quick story: My first visit to the newsroom of a daily newspaper was a major disappointment. I had grown up watching "The Last Page" and "All the President's Men" and "Lou Grant." So, I was expecting a loud, busy newsroom, filled with cigarette smoke and people yelling "copy!" and noisy typewriters and the occasional sip of alcohol from a bottle kept in a desk drawer.

Instead, I found a deathly quiet, mostly empty room, filled with computers and cubicles.

Color me disappointed.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home