Monday, May 20, 2013

Blogging the book: 'Justice is served'

Wow.

Yes, I have finished Belle Blackburn's "The Doctor's Daughter: Journey to Justice." Yes, justice was served.

No, I didn't quite see it coming, at least not the specific manner in which it did.

Apologies that it took me a little longer than expected, but I have to tell you, this is a good book to read. If you like Tennessee history, the Civil War, home medicinal remedies, or just a good yarn, you'll enjoy it.

Belle is currently holding a giveaway contest on Goodreads. If you adore books, treat them as living organisms, would rather read than breathe, create a Goodreads account. Think Facebook for bibliophiles.

I will not tell you the ending, not even after first giving you a spoiler warning. Nope. If you want to know how justice was served for Kate's father's death, read the book.

My favorite parts of the final pages were the portrait of military-occupied Nashville, a hilarious little scene involving Mrs. Goad and two privates in the U.S. Army, and a bittersweet reunion in a cave.

I will tell you this much: I like how Belle ended the book. Even with an epilogue, things aren't quite nicely wrapped up into a neat little bow. Just like in real life. 

I often judge a work of fiction on whether the characters stay with me, on whether I think about them during the day, on whether I become depressed as each page dwindles. Guilty as charged on all three counts. It's a good thing.

Wow.

"The Doctor's Daughter: Journey to Justice" is available in electronic and paperback versions from Amazon.com. Follow her on Facebook.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home