Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Life is good

What strikes you about baseball after awhile is the little things. The ambiance. The rhythms. The girls in the stands.

Kiddin' about that last one (sort of). But you get my point.

There is a pace to baseball that does not exist in the other sports. Rarely does a game last the same length. But each one has its own time, as if a metronome is swaying back and forth on top of the dugout.

Tonight at Carter I marveled at the beauty of the evening. Gibbs High earned an impressive 6-2 win over the Hornets to remain unbeaten in district play.

You should have seen the sky, though.Was it ever something. Perfect night. Absolutely perfect. I don't know how we've managed to land smack dab in the middle of summer. Especially since it's not even April. But who's complaining?

The guys in the press box played "Sweet Home Alabama" and Aaron Tippin's "You've Got to Stand for Something." I laughed it up with John Hitt, Richie Beeler and Sammy "Barney Fife" Sawyer.

Gibbs coach Geff Davis met me at the dugout with a big grin.

"It's that time of year again. I bet you're ready?"

My farmer's tan and the scorebook in my right hand gave Geff the answer.

After awhile, here came Dean, all dressed up in his blue Gibbs uni.

"Hey, Skip," I yell. "Come sit with us."

Dean shakes hands and runs off. "Have to get my lineup filled out," he says.

Today was my third ball game in four days. Tomorrow afternoon, if nothing happens, I'll head over to Tyson Park to look in on the Tennessee softball team. More games loom this weekend, both at Halls High and at Lindsey Nelson Stadium.

Guess what? I'm happier than I've been in months. Totally content. No stress, no high blood pressure. Life is good.

Wipe that grin off your face. It's a great game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home