Friday, September 19, 2008

All in all, I'd rather be in the Old City...

So, yeah, I'd rather be heading down to the Old City tonight to hear this British Invasion band that folks with musical taste keep bragging about.

As it is, I'll be sitting at my desk, taking football scores over the phone, working the late shift tonight.

But, it's OK. The Old City in my mind is reserved for Sunday nights anyway, my usual place near the front at Barley's, Robinella's sweet songs, "Yes, Lord, I can now die a happy man."

I do want to go hear this group, though. They're called The Invaders and I understand they're pretty good. I'm more of an American pop/folk/country kind of guy, but I can dig a little bit of that British stuff from the '60s now and again. Plus, I'm always game for good music.

Not to mention the fact that there's this quaint little bookstore just down from Barley's I keep wanting to visit that isn't open on Sunday nights. The guy that runs it is keeping an eye out for a Lincoln biography I've been trying to find for several years. He thinks he can find all six volumes without me having to mortgage the house.

So what else is new? Well, I'm going to the UT/Florida game tomorrow. This will either be the greatest experience of my life or a rerun of the sinking of the Titanic. The wonderful, horrible thing about the gridiron Volunteers is you just never know. The yo-yo goes up, and the yo-yo comes down.

Peace out, y'all. I'm going to go scout around for some lunch before heading in for the late shift.

Have a good weekend and come hear my favorite singer this Sunday night if you happen to find yourself in Knoxville's Old City around 8. I'll be the guy at the end of the bar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home