Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The little hippie girl

One night when I couldn't sleep, a decade or so ago, I got into watching an old movie on Encore called "Breezy."

I don't remember much about the plot other than it starred William Holden as a conservative, middle-aged guy who fell in love with a hippie played by Kay Lenz. Seems like Clint Eastwood directed it.

Thought about that movie as I was driving over to Adrian Burnett Elementary for an interview this morning. My best guess as to why a film I barely remember popped into my mind is because I must have had a dream last night about the little hippie girl I admired back in high school.

It's funny to think about now. She and I had a class or two together. We were about as opposite as two people can be. I was quite conservative politically then; she wasn't. I was very much the WASP-ish square; she was free-thinking and independent, the type of girl to which I always seem to be attracted.

Thus it went. I found out a few years later that she was hurt by the fact that we "never talked" after our sophomore year. I thought it was because she didn't like me. She, apparently, thought the same.

And, as you can probably guess, the opposite was the case.

I don't have any grand point in all this. It's just something amusing that crossed my mind this morning while driving along Black Oak Ridge.

Although I do have a sudden urge to put "Breezy" on my Netflix queue...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home