Monday, May 18, 2009

Back to reality

In a mellow mood.

John Fluker piano playing softly on XM. Danny O'Keefe lyrics dancing in my head.

Got my pills to ease the pain/Can't find a thing to ease the rain.

It is working.

Am going to need it to transition back into reality. Especially since this weekend was what I needed. And now today is a Monday. And I have to go to the dentist. And to school board.

Spending a Saturday in a place wedged into the Cumberland Plateau brings back the old dreams. Little cottage by the water. Writing in the mornings. Reflecting in the afternoons. Quiet nights or crazy nights, depending on the mood.

All this, on the heels of a new friend sharing photographs of her family's property in Maine. It has fanned the fire. (Sorry for the cliche, Mrs. McNeeley.)

Here is the thing. Instead of dreaming, I am going to do it. Might take awhile. But it is going to happen.

Somebody once said that only an educated person realizes how ignorant one is. (Pardon the dangling preposition.)

That is true. So many books to read. So many movies to dissect. So much music to experience. So much life to be lived.

Stephanie and Daniel tell me about the folks they have encountered at the university. I hate I missed the playwright in residence. Would have loved to have chatted with him. Mainly because that is an art form that is exciting and a bit foreign to me in the sense that I doubt my ability to write it.

I might have mentioned last night that Tennessee Williams deeded the royalties to his plays to the University of the South. I have read "A Streetcar Named Desire" and seen a few of the films based on his work.

It reminds me how much I love the theater. But, living in Knoxville (or being broke) keeps me from seeing much of it. Oh, they have a Broadway series here. But I don't much like musicals. Guess I could drive out to the Cumberland County Playhouse or up to the Barter Theater this summer if anything is playing. Maybe I will do that on vacation.

So now it is back to the real world, to the dentist, to school board. It is OK. My batteries are recharged. My thirst for intellectual discourse has been quenched.

It will last a few weeks. But, more of it is on the way.

You can count on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home