Saturday, April 07, 2007

Snow in April

The heavens opened up here last night sometime between 10 p.m., when I passed out on the couch, and 7 a.m. this morning.

I got up just after 7 and looked out the window. Guess what? It snowed. Four days after an 80 degree summer perfecto, it snows.

Welcome to life here in East Tennessee.

I never will forget an April like this one about 20 years ago. Baseball season started up just like it always does. We were playing outside, getting ready for the approaching summer.

Then it snowed 10 inches. School was out for several days. The world stopped, right smack dab in the middle of spring.

This being Easter weekend, somehow I think snow is appropriate. Oh, I know, I know. Spring is supposed to be an outdoor season, about egg hunts, new dresses for the ladies, spending time outside and meeting together Sunday after church for lunch with the family.

But snow brings with it an unique peace. The world is still. To paraphrase the Christmas song, all is calm and all is bright.

Too often in this ol' world we get too busy. Too busy to stay in touch with old friends. Too busy to stop and chat with the guy who comes in the door to thank you for an article. Too busy to return phone calls and e-mails. To busy to care.

No excuse for that.

So I'm thankful for the light snow this Saturday morning. If I didn't know better, I might be tempted to think somebody was trying to get our attention.

"Hey, slow down. Call your mother. Go have lunch with a friend. Sit down and chat a few minutes with the guy who walks in the door. Here's your excuse. It's cold and snowy outside."

Too bad, isn't it, that we need an excuse.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake, I have just discovered your blog and I am delighted that you are posting your musings for all of us to read! Thanks, too, for helping the Shopper News reach West Knoxville! I just read the Monday edition, and all my favorite people are right with me in my kitchen! Keep up the good work! Rusha Sams

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home